Monday, June 13, 2011

Thin 4th of July flag crate~


I really like the look of old crates, but sometimes I have a hard time decorating them. I'd like to fit them on my shelves where I keep seasonal decor, but they are just too big.  Well, this morning I figured that I could probably just make a thin crate for the look and if I wanted it to be functional, I could use it for magazines.  


This is a pretty easy project. It's made from 2X4 scraps and 1/4'' slats of mdf.

I cut a 16 1/2'' piece of the 2X4 and two 12'' pieces.


Screwed the shorter boards onto the longer piece,


And nailed three 1/4'' mdf slats that measured 4''X16 1/2'' on the front and 3 on the back{bead board slats would work just as well and would probably be pretty darn cute}.


Simple little 2X4 crate box!


I painted and distressed the front of the box. I left the back white so I can flip it after the holidays.


I drilled a hole in the top left corner


and used a band saw to cut out a star to attach to the front.


I've had a couple of random knobs from Hobby Lobby for awhile and was able to actually use one today. Lol


And that's it! The project took about 1/2 hour from start to finish. I did have my 1/4'' slats already cut out, it would take a bit longer if I had to cut them down to size.


Have a wonderful Flag Day tomorrow!


6 comments:

  1. SO cute...I am not as creative as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I think ile copy it for my spare bedroom, tryin to get if finished before the 4th. Thanks for the inspiration!............Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [14 Jun 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SO cute. I would love for you to participate in my Red, White & Blue Roundup. You can see details on my right sidebar.

    Jessica
    http://myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

It's such a pleasure to hear from you! Thank you for taking a moment to comment. If you have a question, please leave me your email address! Thanks a million!
~Andy